75 grams Spaghetti per person (36p)
450 grams (1lb) mince (approx. £2.00)
1 Large onion (10p)
4 carrots (20p)
180 grams 6 ozs mushrooms (40p)
Tin of chopped tomatoes (28p)
Tsp Oregano (SC)
Tsp Garlic (SC)
Tsb Lentils (SC)
Squeeze tomato sauce (SC)
75 grams finely grated cheese (30p)
1. Peel, slice and cook carrots for 10 mins with just enough water to cover them
2 .Put mince and onion in medium saucepan and gently fry together
3. Add oregano, garlic, tomatoes and sauce, stir and simmer for 10 minutes
4. Chop mushrooms and add to pot
5. Mash carrots, add to the pot with their remaining water.
6. When boiling add tablespoon of lentils and stir
7. Leave to simmer for about 25 minutes, stir occasionally.
8. Measure 75grams per person of spaghetti and follow packet instructions
9. Drain spaghetti sprinkle lightly with pepper, stir in a knob of butter/margarine
10.For 4 people separate two portions of mince and freeze or refrigerate.
Place meat on top of spaghetti.
Finely grate cheese and sprinkle over the top.
For 6 people use 75 grams. For 4 use only 50 grams.
Tip 1: For four people if you freeze this, you can do the same next time use use the recipe. On the third occasion you can use the 2 x 2 portions with no extra cost as you have used less spaghetti or cheese for four each time.
Tip 2: If you haven’t freezer capacity, put two portions in the fridge. Use within a few days. Heated for lunch on toast, put in Pitta Bread or used adding mashed potato to the mince and make Savoury pancakes for 4. See Recipe 36.
Cost of meal = £3.64 for 6 people
Per person = 61p