Feeds 4 people:
Base ingredients: 13p
220 gr (8oz) SR flour (10p),
8 dsp veg/sunflower oil (SC),
8 dsp water,
1 tsp. Oregano. (SC)
1. Combine all ingredients in a bowl so dry, but malleable.
2. Use fingers to gently press over base of 12 inch frying pan.
3. With a smaller pan use half ingredients and make two bases (see below)
4. Cook with a medium heat, cover if possible with lid until pastry has risen.
5. When upper side looks fairly dry, invert plate and turn over.
6. If pastry sticks to plate drop back in pan for a minute or two.
7. If not brown enough on either side use plate to turn base to brown it.
8. Tip on to plate ready to add toppings.
Basic Topping Ingredients: 66p
1. Mash tin of tomatoes, add garlic, one onion, squeeze of tomato sauce.
2. Cook in pan or microwave until onion soft and sauce thickened.
3. Use two thirds for a plain pizza, spread evenly over base(s) (26p)
4. Grate and scattered (60 gr) 2oz of cheese on top, melt under grill. (40p)
Total with base for plain pizza(s): 79p.
1.You only need one third of tomato mix if adding toppings.
2. Freeze separately for two portions to use next time
3. Using only one third total when adding toppings = 63p
Chicken and mushroom (pictured above) 1.13
1. Spread chicken scraps & 100 gr (4ozs) cooked sliced mushrooms (50p)
2. Sprinkle the 60 gms of grated cheese over the top, melt under grill
Ham/Bacon with Fresh Pineapple: £1.10 ( Week 1 suggestion)
1. Leftover ham or using 200 grs of bacon pieces from 1kg pack (29p)
2. Separate into slices, small steaks and lumps.
3.Cut up smaller lumps and fry. Set aside 200 grams for pizza
4.Freeze remainder of bacon or put aside for other meals.
5.Use fifth pineapple (use remaining 4 portions as daily fruit) (18p)
1/2 green pepper, 100 gram sweetcorn & 50 gram mushrooms (51p)
(16p + 10p + 25p) or make your own choices
Kids Sunny delight: Only use Pizza base £1.08
1. Open tin of baked beans and frankfurter sausages. 39p
2. Place on base the sausages as sun rays, drop beans in between them
3. Mix two eggs with pepper and a little milk heat in saucepan (16p)
4 Keep stirring as thickens, then drop scrambled egg into the centre
5. Sprinkle over 60 grs (2oz) grated cheese and melt under grill (40p)
Delicious Fish: Only use Pizza base £1.00
1. Open tin of Pilchards drain off tomato sauce into a small saucepan/dish
2. Chop a large onion, cook until soft in the sauce (10p)
3. Mash pilchards into the sauce and onion.
4. Spread a third of mixture on base(s) (37p) + (13p) = (50p)
5. Sprinkle 20 grams of cheese, melt under grill ( (40p)
Tip 1: With smaller frying pan, make base ingredients and divide into two, Make a rough 6 inch circle for each pizza and you will have enough tomato topping for both.
Tip 2: Choose you own toppings or add to those already suggested. Ideal for using up leftovers – the motto is never throw anything away.
Tip 3: If you want larger pizzas adjust pizza base recipe and use two of the tomato portions as for the plain pizza. Even doubling the recipe for toppings you will still have a filling pizza meal for around £2.00.
1.For a nutritious meal add coleslaw. (48p) See the end of Recipe 4
2.Use salad suggestions £1.40 or half and half 94p.. See the end of Recipe 2
Cost of most expensive pizza meal: £1.13 +salad option £1.40 = £2.53
Cost per person: 62p