Feeds 8 (Makes 8, freeze 4 for another day)
Pocket Contents: £3.02
250 grams of cod fish (£2.75)
½ pt of milk (12p)
1 knob of butter
A handful of frozen peas (10p)
Cooked carrot in tiny cubes (5p)
1. Cook the fish in the milk and butter – 3 mins in microwave
2. Or gently in frying pan and until softened
3. Put fish on to plate and if has black skin carefully remove it.
4. Add to milk and butter from fish the cooked carrots and peas
5. Thicken with cornflour and leave to cool while making pastry.
1 lb of Plain Flour (23p)
170 grs hard margarine (40p)
170 grms Lard (30p)
Water to mix
1 Cut up both margarine and lard into very small cubes
2. In large bowl place flour and drop in cubes
3. If using mixer add about ½ pt of water, mix to a gooey elastic!
4. By hand work the cubes into the flour and gradually add water
5. Tiny lumps of fat are good use heavy spoon to get right consistency
6. Coat the worksurface with flour and put half the mixture in centre
7. Cover with flour, roll out in straight line up, press ends into centre
8. Turn over and at a right angle repeat rolling out 5 times
9. On 6th roll stretch it across your floured surface
10.The aim is to have 4 squares 15 x 15 cms from that half
11. Try and get at least 3, and make fourth from what’s left
12. Do the same with the other half of the mixture.
13. Keep each square well coated in flour and lay out to one side
Tip 1: Cut out a square of paper that size and cut round it.
Tip 2: Halve pasty and filling ingredients, if unable to freeze 4 portions
1. Divide cold white sauce mixture into 8 portions and fish into 8 fish bits
2. Grease a large baking sheet or roasting pan
3. Put a little milk in dish, if no brush use your finger to coat pastry
4. For each square, place a blob of mixture and fish piece in the centre
5. Don’t worry if it seems too little! The ingredients spread inside
6. Paint milk 1 cm wide on inside edge of the square
7. Fold one corner just beyond the centre, and the opposite one over it
8. Do the same with the two other corners, making an envelope
9. Lift carefully and place on your baking sheet. Do the same for all 8.
10.Use your brush/finger to paint milk over all 8 pockets.
11.Refrigerate or cook at 180 degrees until risen and golden = 20 mins
12.Serve immediately. The other 4 let get cold and then freeze.
Tip. 1 This might seem time consuming but you have a ready meal for another day and the fluffy pastry with filling is far cheaper than anything you would be able to buy. Another recipe to impress!
Tip 2: Obviously you will have bits of pastry over, make jam or lemon curd tarts, or even try you hand at making individual or very small apple pies with pulped apple. Or freeze pastry in a plastic bag for another day.
Tip 3: Easy and cheap to make using leftovers.
1. Cheap bacon bits with tomato and onion sauce.
2. Chicken ends with a with mushroom or bacon with white sauce above.
3. Add cheese sauce with ham.
4. Potato and vegetables in curry sauce.
Tip 4: Never overfill the pastry it should easily fold into an envelope, and vegetables must be cut up small so don’t pierce the pastry covering it.
Serving suggestions: 80p
These go well with salad, but equally with any green vegetable e.g. runner beans and broccoli
Cost of meal: £4.75 (for 8 people) £2.38 for 4
Cost per person: 60p.