Main Ingredients: £3.32
450 grams cheap mince (2.00)
1 large onion chopped (10p)
1 pepper chopped (32p)
1 tin of plum tomatoes (28p)
1 tin of baked beans (22)p
1 tin kidney beans (30p)
1 tabsp of lentils (SC)
1 tsp chilli powder (to taste) (SC)
1 squeeze if tomato sauce (SC)
300 grams of rice (24p)
1. Put mince and onion in large saucepan and gently fry together.
2. Stir in the chilli powder.
3. Pour juice from tomatoes into saucepan, and chop tomatoes
4. Add tomatoes and good squeeze of tomato sauce
5. Chop pepper, baked beans, and kidney beans.
6. Allow to boil and then add lentils which will thicken sauce
7. Simmer for 20 mins add lid and leave while cooking rice
8.For four when serving place two portions in a dish or freezer container
Serve with rice
1. In separate saucepan put a full mug of water in per person and boil
2. Measure 50 grams rice or half a mug of rice for each person to the water
3. Gently boil without saucepan lid for 8 minutes
4. Check there is water at bottom of pan cook for another 4 mins
5. Remove from heat put on lid, leave to steam for 8 minutes before serving
Tub of Greek Yoghurt (light) use as side dish (45p)
Packet of Tortilla chips ( 69p)
Tip 1: If feeding 4 people:
1. Following point 8 above
2. Do this the next time you cook this recipe
3. On the third occasion take the 2 x 2 portions from freezer, heat together
4. That week the cost will be the rice (16p) + extras £1.14.
1. This is delicious on hot buttered toast makes four generous portions for lunch.
2. Use within five days, heat to bubbling in a saucepan before serving
3. Consider making savoury pancakes. (Recipe 36 published 16th February)
4. Add to the chilli mixture a little cooked rice, cous cous or potato for a more solid filling for your pancakes.
5. Heat thoroughly in over/microwave
6. Cover pancakes if they start to go too crispy.
7. Best with salad.
Tip 2: In feeding four people not six you will have yoghurt and tortilla chips left over use these elsewhere eg. yoghurt with breakfast and chips with lunch or put on the side if you make savoury pancakes above.
Cost of meal: £3.32 (for six with extras) £1.14 = £4.46
Cost per person: 56p + extras 19p each = 75p