After the more expensive meals this cheap recipe will help offset that cost.
Base ingredients: 13p
220 gr (8oz) SR flour (10p),
8 dsp veg/sunflower oil (SC),
8 dsp water,
1 tsp. Oregano. (SC)
1. Combine all ingredients in a bowl so dry, but malleable.
2. Use fingers to gently press over base of 12 inch frying pan.
3. With a smaller pan you for 4 share ingredients between two pans
4. Cook with a medium heat, cover if possible with lid until pastry has risen.
5. When upper side looks fairly dry, invert plate and turn over.
6. If pastry sticks to plate drop back in pan for a minute or two.
7. If not brown enough on either side use plate to turn base to brown it.
8. Tip on to plate ready to add toppings.
Delicious Fish Topping with base only: £1.03
Tin of pilchards in tomato sauce (£1.10)
Large onion (10p)
1. From pilchards drain off tomato sauce into a small dish
2. Chop the onion, fry, or microwave with pilchard sauce
3. Mash pilchards back into sauce with onion
4. Separate into three portions, freeze two, use one.
5. Spread a third of mixture on base (40p)
6. Sprinkle over 100 grams of cheese, melt under grill (50p)
Tip 1: With smaller frying pan, make base ingredients and divide into two, Make a rough 6 inch circle for each pizza and you will have enough pilchard topping for both.
Tip 2: If you want larger pizzas adjust pizza base recipe and use two portions of pilchard mixture. Even doubling the recipe the pizza will only just be over £2.00.
Tip 3: A third of 12” pizza with salad or coleslaw is should adequately feed 2 adults and 2 children.
Coleslaw with sultanas (80p) See earlier recipe.
Cost of this meal: £1.83
Cost per person: 46p